Thursday, October 26, 2006

Catalogue of Tregelles' Library

1
In a letter of 16 Dec. 1876 Hort wrote to Tregelles' widow:

My dear Mrs Tregelles,
...
I was much obliged for the Catalogue, and am now very glad to hear the sale was so successful. It was certainly a most remarkable library. I only hope the books will for the most part fall into hands a quarter as able and willing to use them as those of their late master.

I like this expression of Hort's appreciation for Tregelles and I take this to refer to a Catalogue used for the sale (or auction) of the library of S.P. Tregelles in 1876 (he died in April 1875). But I have not been able to find a copy of this catalogue. [There is Tregelles manuscript material in the British Library, John Rylands Library, St Andrew's University Library and Cambridge University Library (indirectly), but none of these seem to have the catalogue.] I suspect there may be some way into this via book collectors and book sellers of the nineteenth century, but I wonder if any one out there has any suggestions. Another complication is not knowing the exact title of the Catalogue.

1 comment

  1. If there is any place that would contain it or have any information, it would be in the John Ryland's library, in the section dealing with archives of the Brethren. They aim to get their hands on any document published by the Brethren in their history. They do not appear to have it listed in their online catalogue, and I would think that if they do not have it, it is not to be found. The best person to ask about it would be David Brady, if he is still at the library.

    ReplyDelete