Saturday, April 21, 2007

μηχανὴ φθείρουσα βλάπτει ἐμπόριον χριστιανὸν ἐν Γάζῃ

Ἐν Γάζῃ τῇ πρώτῃ ἡμέρᾳ [15-4-2007] θέντες μηχανὴν φθείρουσαν ζηλωταὶ μυζλιμιν [مظلمين بالاسلام] ἔβλαψαν καὶ ἔκαυσαν ἐμπόριον τῶν ἁγίων γραφῶν χριστιανὸν.

ἐν τῇ παρελθόντι χρόνῳ ἠπείλουν τοιοῦτοι ζηλωταὶ τοὺς χριστιανούς τοῦ ἐμπορίου καὶ τῆς Γάζης. δοκεῖ μοι ὅτι ὁ τοῦ νῦν κόσμος ἀνάγκην ἔχει ἀναμνησθῆναι τοιαύτας ἀπειλὰς εί οίκοδομηθήσεται ἐλευθερία καὶ πνευματικὴ ἐλευθερία ἐν τῇ μέσῃ ἀνατολῇ.

οὐχ εὗρον τι περὶ τούτου ἐν τῇ BBC.
εὗρον διὰ Γοογλε
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewForeignBureaus.asp?Page=/ForeignBureaus/archive/200704/INT20070416e.html

5 Comments:

P J Williams said...

Randall,
I like these native contributions. However, some browsers don't display characters with accents and breathings correctly.

Christian Askeland said...

Those with difficulties displaying the Greek should:

#1 - make sure their browser is set to display unicode (View:Encoding:UTF-8).

#2 - check that they have a unicode font which handles Greek like Times New Roman or Arial... almost everyone has one of these. If there is a problem, it probably relates to #1.

P J Williams said...

Christian,
I've selected UTF-8, but still have a problem. Maybe you can solve it next time your round my office!
Best,
PJW

Randall Buth said...

I, too, have had problems with accents on Greek in Internet Explorer. I had the fonts but kept seeing boxes where an accent other than acute modern Greek "tonos" occurred. I thought I had set the coding for unicode UTF-8.
Rather sheepishly I should confess that I solved the problem by switching to Firefox. It mangages unicode Polytonic Greek correctly, in both XP and Mac versions, and without special configuration, beyond activating the computer system for Polytonic Greek.

Roger Pearse said...

I don't think that we need to mess around with changing the browser encoding. Just treat the text as we used to, and specify a font tag with a list of possible popular unicode fonts. That will work for an awful lot of people.