Wednesday, October 24, 2007

In the Mail: The Greek New Testament with Dictionary (WH); "Leather Bound"?

3
Today I finally received my long-awaited copy of Westcott and Hort The Greek New Testament with Dictionary in the new Hendrickson edition. However, I was a bit surprised and disappointed to find that the book was in ordinary hardcover, I had expected smooth leather. When I placed my order the book was said to be "Leather bound" (at Amazon). Now I see that several resellers indicate "imitiation leather" or just "hardcover". Read more about the publication at Hendrickson's website here.

3 comments

  1. Tommy,

    It was originally advertised as imitation leather when it was announced. It wasn't until it arrived here at Eisenbrauns and I checked on Hendrickson's website that I realized they had changed it.

    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. James: ". . .that I realized they had changed it."

    Thanks James. I thought for a moment that I had misunderstood the English booksellerdefinition of "leather bound"/"imitation leather" in relation to "hardcover". The book is still advertised at many booksellers as imitation leather. This is misleading.

    I actually bought my book in 2006 from Amazon, and it eventually came in the mail after a year, but there is no leather, and no good imitation of leather either... I would not have bought this copy since I have three old copies of WH in hardback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hendrickson Publishers is not known for producing particularly durable books. My 1-volume Interlinear Bible started to fall apart before I'd even read through it.

    I understand the 4-volume set is much better made.

    ReplyDelete