Actually, there is one indication of a conspiracy on the site. It is a conspiracy against users of Internet Explorer. The virtual manuscript room web site is not optimized for use with Internet Explorer, although you can just barely make use of the site anyway.
Therefore I thought it useful to publish below the response made in the comments to previous post by Ulrich Schmid, one of the responsible person's for the VMR in Münster:
Since the issue of IE support comes up every now and then with regard to the INTF's NT.VMR, I would like to clarify our position on that.
1. For the first installment of the NT.VMR we had to meet deadlines and our limited resources did not include coding support.
2. We had to choose between supporting a rather limited range of functions and options for more than one platform or additional functions for just one platform.
3. Since it seems to be fairly easy to download one of the supported (free) browsers and we do not ask to pay for our service, we thought people could live with that for the time being.
4. For the next few months we have to meet other deadlines that leave little room for supporting IE in the nearest future.
5. Depending on the results from the next deadlines, we might be in a position (mid-2010) to set up a forum in which requests for additional functions and support can be placed and will be dealt with.