Thursday, October 08, 2009

Starting TC young?

7
I was amused to see that, before he went to school this morning, my four-year-old son Leo was deeply engrossed in Bart Ehrman's, Didymus the Blind and the Text of the Gospels, which he had found lying round the house. He then declared that it was his 'best book' and asked if he could keep it in his bedroom. After further consideration he then referred to it as a 'scrap book'.
He then wanted to take it to school in our eco-friendly tricycle.















7 comments

  1. Didymus the Blind is an inspiring figure for young and old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew Wiulson10/08/2009 1:13 pm

    What age do you start them on learning Greek and Hebrew?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha Gathercole (aged 5) has made a papyrus codex of Esther (abridged!) and a scroll of the Lord's prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't started formal Hebrew and Greek with either of ours, but my daughter, Magdalena, when aged 7 did come back from school and tell me about the Coptic she'd been learning from the Heidi Askeland! Apparently those kids use Coptic letters as a code to each other. Unfortunately, now she mistakes Greek for Coptic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was he actually reading it? At that age I could hold a book right-side up and not much else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I well remember a 'Sunday School' outing that Peter Head lead from Oak Hill Theological College to Kew Gardens. There Nigel Hepper cut down the papyrus plants and allowed us young theologs to beat and bash it into papyrus sheets. Some 16 years on, I still have my sheet and photos of the event and show regularly show them to fascinated students.
    I may not have been 5, but it did start my interest in TC. Thanks Pete!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be sure to tell Leo that if it turns out that Didymus is indeed the author of De Trinitate, some of the statements in Ehrman's book about the text used by Didymus may need adjustment.

    Yours in Christ,

    James Snapp, Jr.

    ReplyDelete