Thursday, June 18, 2009

Textual criticism of ETC competition

5
An anonymous commenter justly complained of an excess of typos in one of my posts (see here for the offending piece). In response to that, I would like to amend my ways by announcing a competition for the person who can present me with the longest list of genuine typos (including broken links and Malapropisms) on the ETC blog by the end of July 2009. The ETC blog has its own TC! You are allowed to use software to help you, or work as teams if you are willing to share the prize.

The prize will be your choice of either my Studies in the Syntax of the Peshitta of 1 Kings or my Early Syriac Translation Technique and the Textual Criticism of the Greek Gospels.

If, having received your prize, you can document more than three typos in it by the end of 2009, then you will receive the other book in addition.

I'm not sure whether any takers will feel that the prize is sufficient, but I would be delighted if any could contribute towards improving the typography of this blog.

5 comments

  1. Peter,
    Is there a sub-category prize for those mortals among us who are not proficient in reading Syriac?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about The New Testament in Its First Century Setting? I realize it's less related to TC, but it is in honour of a compatriot of yours. The clause about finding 3 typos doesn't apply to that book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found one already:
    "The Linguistic Background to Jesus Dereliction Cry"
    regarding Matthew 27:47, in which, interestingly enough, Aleph and B both harmonize to the Mark parallel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew Wilson6/23/2009 5:54 pm

    I think my all-time favourite comment on this blog (I'm hoping comments are included in this comp) was from Ulrich Schmid:

    ‘Copiists no necessarily need to think. Translators do, however’
    http://evangelicaltextualcriticism.blogspot.com/2008/09/conjectural-emendations-in-nestle.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew Wilson6/23/2009 6:01 pm

    Actually, I miscopied Ulrich's comment. He also misspelled 'necessarily' (two l's). So, there's a third typo in nine words. Another scribal error, alas!

    ReplyDelete