Monday, May 10, 2021

Review of Falcetta’s Bio of J. Rendel Harris

1

The new issue of BBR has my review of Alessandro Falcetta’s The Daily Discoveries of a Bible Scholar and Manuscript Hunter: A Biography of James Rendel Harris. It’s an account thick with detail of a life marked by some remarkable adventures. The man survived not one but two German U-Boat attacks and “discovered” the Odes of Solomon in his own office!

One feature I wished for in the book was a bit more of Rendel’s own voice. Falcetta appears to have worked through all the personal correspondence and there were times I would have liked to hear them rather than Falcetta’s summary of them. One other thing I didn’t mention in the review is the extreme price. Thankfully, I noticed today that the publisher has put out a much more affordable paperback edition. It’s worth a read.

You can read the review here.

1 comment

  1. I bought this after the recommendation (and wanting to learn more about JR Harris), and my word, what a book, and what a man! Currently up to the chapter about the Armenian massacres of 1984-6, which makes for some very, very unpleasant reading concerning what occurred .

    ReplyDelete