Thursday, May 20, 2021

Free Book (Open Access): Georgi Parpulov’s new catalogue of catena manuscripts

5

This is one I’ve been looking forward to for a while.

Georgi R. Parpulov’s new book, Catena Manuscripts of the Greek New Testament: A Catalogue Texts and Studies, Third Series (Piscataway, NJ; Gorgias, 2021) is open access and has been published. The publisher’s page for the book is here, but a FREE pdf of it is available here.

I haven’t read the book in full yet, but I have been able to look at one place. I’ve had a very casual and low-priority interest in Niketas of Herakleia’s Catena in Lucam for a few years now because of one of the sources Niketas used, and when I checked the group of manuscripts I had been looking at (pp. 122–123), Parpulov lists two additional manuscripts that are members of that group that I didn't previously know about.

If you’re not familiar with Parpulov, you should be. When I see his name on the schedule of conference presentations, I usually just plan to drop whatever else I’m doing to go hear him.

As a bonus: here is another one of Parpulov’s publications that is also free: “Kr in the Gospels”, which is a must-read for anyone interested in Family 35.

Congrats, Georgi!

5 comments

  1. This is outstanding. Parpulov has also re-checked the dating of each manuscript, proposing dates that sometimes differs from what is shown on the Liste.

    I also notice that he references some GA numbers that apparently are forthcoming? The Liste currently goes through GA-2966, but Parpulov lists Theophylact mss GA-2976, GA-2977, GA-2979, GA-2983, GA-2984, GA-2988, GA-2989, GA-2995, GA-2997, and GA-2998.

    My guess is that Greg Paulson has issued these numbers for this publication, but has not yet updated the published Liste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, Darrell. The new GA numbers will appear soon on the NTVMR.

      Delete
  2. Just to let you all know that the online database created in conjunction with this catalogue has now been released at http://purl.org/itsee/catena-catalogue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am curious as to why GA-882 was left out...a 10th century Chrysostom homilies ms with Scripture text. Not mentioned in the list of single-author Chrysostom manuscripts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also curious as to the decision described in the footnote on page 3: "Manuscripts with commentary on Revelation are only included in this catalogue if they also contain other New Testament books."

    I believe there several stand-alone Revelation manuscripts with commentary in the GA numbering between 2014 and 2091, and otherwise there cannot be too many. Its unfortunate these were not able to be included.

    ReplyDelete