[I've received the following announcement from Troy Griffitts - PJW]
Are you interested in ancient manuscripts of the NT?
Do you have the skills it takes to recognize what Greek text is on a manuscript page?
Are you looking for a wonderful project where you can volunteer your time for a very worthwhile cause?
If YES to all of the above, please read on.
CSNTM is an organization with a goal to photograph and make freely available images of all important NT manuscripts. Their website is here:
CrossWire has been working on a basic manuscript indexing tool that will help volunteers help CSNTM index all of their images.
If you would like to help out and don't mind running a VERY early beta of our indexing tool, please follow these instructions:
1) Register an account on our community site at:
2) After verifying your account and logging in, click on the [projects] tab, and then join the CSNTM MSS project, and then click the project link.
3) You will be presented with a status page showing for which documents CSNTM has images. Click the _View Info_ link to see the information CSNTM has for these images. Sometimes they will have a PDF document already containing Scriptural coverage of their images. You might want to find a document with a small number of images, to start. When you've found a document you are ready to index, click the _Claim Responsibility_ link.
4) A new document will be created in your personal library with this document. Fill in any meta information-- much of this can be found in the CSNTM information about this document--and click [Save].
5) Hit the [Load All Images At This URL] button and be patient while the images are slurped down and thumbnails are built.
6) Do some research on your document online, and using your Nestle-Aland GNT appendix. Click on the first thumbnail to popup the image viewer, zoom in, and using your research your keen Greek skills, determine and enter the Biblical coverage of this page, e.g., Rom.1.1-3.19. Be sure to hit the [Save] button for this image and move on to the next.
7) If you decide to NOT complete work on your document, please DELETE the document from your personal library, which will mark the document as available, once again, for another volunteer to claim.
PLEASE ENJOY YOURSELF AND SPREAD THE WORD TO WHOMEVER YOU FEEL MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN HELPING OUT.
The CSNTM guys are doing a wonderful work to collect these images and make them freely available. This indexing project will provide the means to manipulate these images usefully from our software and other projects, and will provide the world with the easily accessible evidence attesting to the reliability of the New Testament. I am really excited about this project and about collaborating together with you all and CSNTM on this work! May God make use of these efforts to draw people to Himself.
-Troy A. Griffitts