Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Manuscripts in the USA and Canada

The Bibliographical Society of America has released a helpful Directory of Institutions in the United States and Canada with Pre-1600 Manuscript Holdings (compiled by Melissa Conway and Lisa Fagin Davis).


  1. Thanks for posting this, Peter. This is truly exciting to see. I knew Melissa and others were working on this, but hadn't seen the final product. This will be a much needed resource for Greek NT mss in the US. Kenneth Clark's 1937 descriptive list did a fine job describing the mss in the US, but three-quarters of a century later, much of it needs updating.

    A couple of years ago, I tried tracking down the Greek NT mss in the state of California (which I jokingly called my quest to find the western text of the NT), and I found lots of misinformation even in the Kurzgefasste Liste about ms locations. It will be very nice to check information further in this list. Thanks again for posting this.

  2. I note that on page 37 it says that L. Franklin Gruber's collection is listed as untraced. I know where it went; it's at the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago, in the Gruber Rare Books Collection. Gruber was a president of one of LSTC's predecessor bodies. Access generally goes through Dr. Ralph Klein, one of our emeriti.

  3. I wonder about the overlap (or lack) between this census and the CSNTM's work?